I was getting coffee at OnCue a few months ago when my Mom called me. My Dad is diabetic so he has regular checkups to monitor his blood sugar, but this time the doctor thought things looked a bit odd. Tests, another test, and then some more tests told us what we didn't want to know. My Dad has cancer. It took 20 minutes sitting in the OnCue parking lot before I was calm enough to drive home.
My Dad started seeing an oncologist (and having more tests) right away. And my brain.....oh, my brain. Have you noticed how your brain tries to play out every worst scenario you can think of? All at the same time...at 3am...and tries to keep you from listening to the Creator. And then you get the news you've been hiding from.....
*neuroendocrine tumors
*extensive
*fast growing
*Stage 4 (excuse me while I vomit)
*high doses of chemotherapy
WHAT? Or better yet, to quote a wonderful group of ladies I know.....what the ham sandwich?
How did this happen? My Dad isn't a smoker or a drinker. He's the guy that took me to see JAWS in 3D. He's the one that let me watch musicals and Christopher Lee vampire movies on PBS (thanks Dad!). He bought Dr Seuss books and encyclopedias for me. Remember encyclopedia salesmen?!?! He taught me how to chance a tire so I wouldn't be laying in a ditch somewhere. He worked countless HARD hours for the railroad to take care of us. He helped put me through college.
And he walked me down the aisle to meet my husband.
So here we are.....in the land of malignant tumors and chemotherapy. But there are things to be grateful for. We're grateful for a steady appetite and no weight loss. No vomiting. He's tired and has lost some hair, but the chemo isn't making him miserable. He's been through several months of chemo and while the tumor hasn't shrunk, is hasn't grown larger either. I'm also grateful that my Dad knows Jesus as his Savior. I'm grateful for that more than anything else. He's fighting this six letter word and doing a great job of it! I'm reminded that nothing we go through is anything our Lord didn't suffer. I'm reminded that nothing happens in this world that He doesn't know about. He knows my Dad's name and my Dad knows His.
I'll keep you updated through my blog. It's been too long since I've taken time to write and let me tell ya.....do I have some teaching stories for you later! Say a prayer for those that are battling right now. It's frightening and takes a toll on families. Thanks for spending time with me loves.....
XoXo
Jules
No comments:
Post a Comment